Oh gosh, why do you have so many tabs open? – that’s what I hear every time someone is peeping into my web browser. Well, we all know how many useful pages one can save for later, and how easy it is to get lost in a dozen of them.
While we are still hoping to check them out at the end of the day, some tabs seem like something out of our interest, something we would not even click at. They’ve opened automatically. But why? And, most importantly, how to stop unwanted tabs opening in Chrome?
This issue has been reported by many users and might seem strange at first. Do those unwanted tabs open by themselves? Or is there a malware pushing annoying ads so aggressively? Whether tabs contain any ads, or they are blank, there are different solutions proven to help Google Chrome users. So let’s take a look at the ways how to prevent sites from opening new tabs.
Try Adlock for free on your Macos devicesForget about ads and annoying elements on Mac PCs
Try AdLock for free on your Android deviceUse a reliable adblocker to prevent the opening of the ad- and malware-infested tabs on your browser!
Try AdLock for free on your Windows deviceUse a reliable adblocker to prevent the opening of the ad- and malware-infested tabs on your browser!
Try AdLock for free in your browser
Setting Program files
When we say “program files”, this isn’t about your PC system, so don’t rush to reinstall your Windows just yet. It rather refers to all files and settings of Google Chrome itself. This browser is complex and has many features to discover. Without suggesting you try all possible Chrome settings, we will only list those that can effectively prevent unwanted tabs from opening.
In many cases, tabs would open automatically when using a specific website. Even with a website you trust, browsing data and, especially, cookies it uses might distort functionality. Don’t rush to blame this website – clear your cookies first.
Luckily, Google Chrome allows you to do this in a few clicks:
- Find three vertical dots icon in the top right corner
- Open More tools from the expanding menu
- Select Clear browsing data
- Choose All time range and confirm with Clear data button
- Restart your Google Chrome
Your browser will load the web pages from scratch and they should work just as they are supposed to, without opening new tabs automatically. But no worries if the problem persists, just scroll down to more solutions.
Chrome is great because it offers you not only world-class browsing but also unlimited flexibility – due to a huge library of extensions. While these extensions are aimed at making user’s life easier, some may cause issues too, and automatic tabs opening is no exception.
There are reports of certain VPN or proxy extensions that redirect users to ad or promotional pages without their consent. In this case, simply removing them from Chrome is enough to never see those pages again. How?
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar, or click a Puzzle icon in the top right corner and choose to Manage extensions.
- You will see the list of all the extensions installed in your Google Chrome account.
- Scan through the list to see if there’s anything strange. When detected an extension that you never installed yourself or one that doesn’t have a proper description of its functions, click Remove.
Now your extensions are in order, but the tabs are still opening automatically? There is a chance that your Chrome is infected with malware. One extension you surely want to keep is AdLock – the savior for when it comes to web surfing safety.
Prevent automatic tabs opening with AdLock
AdLock offers a comprehensive solution for blocking online ads, pop-ups, and malware. Some of this malware is just a little script created for Chrome, thus it won’t be detected by a conventional antivirus. AdLock developed its very own Chrome extension which prevents these malfunctioning scripts from loading. As a result, a web browser remains at its best performance and doesn’t open any tabs automatically against the user’s will.
Download AdLock extension for Google Chrome now to see its remarkable performance. It’s completely free of charge.
Turn on Pop-Up Blocker
Once installed, AdLock will take care of all the malware and block all unwanted apps that cause opening spam tabs. With its easy-to-use interface, you can adjust settings for each website you go or whitelist the ones you trust. AdLock collects statistics of how many ads were blocked on a particular website, so you can have a full overview of its trustworthiness. And stop using potentially harmful resources.
Furthermore, by going to Settings in AdLock menu one can manage the filters used for malware and anti-ads protection, as well as add new filters for optimal web browsing experience. Give it a try!
Scan for Malware
If malware is the reason for all the unwanted tabs to open automatically, there’s another tool that can help. Google implemented a malware scanner in their web browser which comes from the box, but far not everyone knows that. Here’s how you check for malware from Chrome:
- In Chrome, click three vertical dots and go to the Settings tab.
- Scroll right to the bottom of the page and click Advanced.
- Select the Reset and clean up section and choose to Clean up computer.
- Click Find and follow the instructions.
Scanning will take a moment, and, when finished, you can restart your browser and see if the problem is resolved.
Update Chrome to the latest version
In some cases, new tabs keep opening because of the problem with Chrome itself. There are two possibilities:
- Chrome version has been outdated, so the browser is vulnerable to the newest malware and doesn’t function properly. The solution here would be to update your Chrome version by going to Help – About Google Chrome – Update.
- Chrome installation was corrupted, which lead to a lack of necessary system files. You can solve this issue by reinstalling your Chrome:
- First, the current version has to be uninstalled using the Control Panel of your PC or uninstaller software.
- Make sure to remove all the remaining Chrome files from your system, as the old registry entries may stay as well as the problem with your tabs.
- Install the newest Chrome version from Google.
Don’t forget to sync your browser data, such as bookmarks, beforehand using your Google account.
To sum up
This issue can be annoying, but there are ways to prevent sites from opening new tabs in Chrome. The first thing to do here is to define whether new tabs are appearing because of malware, cookies, shady extensions, or incorrect work of the browser itself. This way one can solve the issue just by simply changing browser settings. In some severe cases, reinstalling Chrome is needed.
It’s also strongly advised to use a powerful internet security software, such as AdLock Chrome extension, to prevent the risk of browser-specific malware infection. When a PC or Mac system is heavily damaged by viruses and malware, you might want to look for a more complex solution. adlock.com has a reputation of world-class providers for ad-blocking software, offering a great range of tools for best web browsing at a minimum cost.
Web surfing, free of spam and annoying pop-up tabs, is closer than one might think. It’s only a matter of how well the Internet browser is adjusted. And now you know how to do it with your Chrome.